Monday, July 13, 2009

Message in the Music: History

Jamie Foxx said it at the BET Awards:

"Did we miss it? Did I miss something?"

He was talking about grief many of us felt when Michael Jackson passed away last month. Not only were we stricken by his sudden death, but we were also hit with guilt, feeling we missed an opportunity to really appreciate MJ's musical genius while he was still on this earth.

That's why it was hard for a lot of people (at least me) to listen to his music after news broke. How did I not notice how great this was? How did I miss the message he was trying to send? Some of us are still feeling it.

Two weeks later, my sadness has been replaced comfort and contentment. Through all his troubles, Michael was able to speak to the world, leave an incredible musical legacy and still smile through it all. (That smile, y'all, I tell ya...) And as I've been "digging through the crates," so to speak, I've discovered a lot of messages that I overlooked in my 26 years of listening to Jackson music.

So now I share them here with you guys. Even if you weren't a Jackson fan, there is always something can be garnered from the lyrics. Enjoy. :-)





He got kicked in the back
He say that he needed that
He hot willed in the face
Keep daring to motivate
He say one day you will see
His place in world history
He dares to be recognized
The fires deep in his eyes....

Don't let no one get you down
Keep movin' on higher ground
Keep flying until
You are the king of the hill
No force of nature can break
Your will to self motivate
She say this face that you see
Is destined for history....

Every day create your history
Every path you take you're leaving your legacy
Every soldier dies in his glory
Every legend tells of conquest and liberty
Every day create your history
Every page you turn you're writing your legacy
Every hero dreams of chivalry
Every child should sing together in harmony



History - Michael Jackson

0 comments:

Post a Comment