Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Giovanni and Kinky-Curly Don't Mix...

...at least, not in my spray bottle.

I keep a little red spray bottle handy at all times for whenever my curls need a mist of moisture. It's a simple mixture: Giovianni Direct leave-in conditioner and water. But this morning, I noticed it was going to be particularly humid today, and feared that my coils would turn into fluff. I figured I could prevent that with mist that also provided a little hold. In goes the Kinky-Curly Spiral Spritz. I dropped some into the spray bottle, shook it up, and when about my day.

Fast-forward about four hours later, while I'm sitting at my desk. I'm rummaging through my bag for my iPod when I pick up the spray bottle.

It's chunky inside.

Ew.

I shook it up, thinking maybe it just need a good -- well, shake.

No luck. It's still chunky.

Ew.

I don't know why the Giovanni and the Kinky-Curly don't like each other, but when the two liquids come together in a spray bottle, they make a solid. A lumpy, chunky, piece-y solid that floats on top of the water.

It's actually pretty gross.

*sigh* Take two.

8 comments:

Unknown said...

There are a bunch of different oils in Giovanni Direct leave-in. Kinky-Curly products and oils don't mix well at all when wet. I usually never use any conditioner but Knot Today with KCCC and if I branch out I make sure there aren't a lot of oils in the conditioner. So I don't know how they would mix on wet hair. If I use KCCC, only after my hair is completely dry, I use a little (miniscule)amount of oil to soften the crunchiness if I've used too much; but that's it.

Butterfly73 said...

I used some Knot Today with a small...teeny bit of CD hair oil...and it definitely didnt like each other.*shrug* You live and you learn.

Natakue said...

yea, not all products work well together. i know that dreadful feeling when you see the chemical reaction happening in front of your eyes. it goes from "what the?" to "ew, gross" to "man! i just wasted how much product now?!"

i know for a fact that giovanni direct leave-in and kinky curly curling custard work well together (applying the leave-in first, then the styler on top). if i add a little knot today with the leave-in, i have much less crunch to smooth out when it dries. good combo.

Unknown said...

wow...I just posted on my blog about my love for Giovanni and its ability to work with all the other product I use. thanks for the heads up, although now that I think about it- I have heard that KCCC should be used only with their Knot today.
:shrugs: we live and we learn...

Unknown said...

@ Natakue: Thanks for the tip! I'm definitely going to try using Giovanni next time I apply KCCC.

Natakue said...

@Nicole: no prob bob!

Peaceful Me (Quo) said...

Giovanni Leave In makes my hair crunchy. I am trying my best to like it, but everytime I use it...crunch. I don't even use very much of it, (approx. dime's worth).

Natakue said...

Peace, my hair feels crunchy or dry after using certain products if it has too much oil or proteins in it. maybe this is what's happening to you...? you might want to check the ingredients to see if there is a common culprit in this and other products your hair reacts negatively to and stay away from them in the future.

Post a Comment