Friday, June 26, 2009

Have You Seen....?

I can't really talk about hair now. Why?

Because I feel like my childhood's been snatched away.

If you were a fan, it's likely because you fell in love with him as a kid. If you're like my dad, you were amazed to see a little brown kid with a wide nose and perfect afro -- someone who looked like you -- singing and dancing on TV. You boogied to "Dancing Machine" at your high school dances, and "Thriller" was the soundtrack of your college years.

Or maybe you're like me. Maybe you were a child transfixed by the "Bad" video. You escaped to another world when you watched "Moonwalker" and "Captain EO." You learned the choreography to "Remember The Time," and tried to do the lean from "Smooth Criminal" without falling over. You were amazed at the people who cried and passed out at his concerts. And even though his skin was a bit, well, lighter, more so than anyone else you knew, it didn't bother you one bit.

No matter what end of the spectrum you fell on, Michael Jackson was one thing: Magic.

Which is why it's so hard to comprehend these last few days. Intellectually, we know every human is mortal. But the child in us wants to believe that the magic will never die.

It's been a weird combination of comfort and torture in listening to the songs and watching the videos. One one hand, it takes you to a memory of a happier time, bringing a favorite dance move back to your limbs. But on the other hand, it reminds you that time will always move forward, and that you can never go back. You can never relive those happy, amazing days.

We can't go back to that magical childhood -- the childhood that gave you every reason, dream, believe and imagine. And yet now, we're trying so desperately to hold on.

And that's why it hurts so bad.



Have you seen my childhood?

I'm searching for that wonder in my youth

Like fantastical stories to share

The dreams I would dare

Watch me fly....






We love you, Michael.

3 comments:

Kerr-Ann Dempster said...

i know what u mean. i've always known he was human, but somehow i never thought of him dying, being no more. its crazy, and so sudden. he will most certainly never be forgotten. my favorite was "i wanna rock with you, all night, rock the night away" (singing to myself!). i just LOVE the way he moved his hips in that video. man, this sucks, cho :(

D Alexandra said...

You put into into words perfectly when you said "No matter what end of the spectrum you fell on, Michael Jackson was one thing: Magic...But the child in us wants to believe that the magic will never die." I can't stop crying as I'm writing this. I feel like a family friend has passed away. I don't even know what to say or do.

Anonymous said...

Tell me about it.

It was just devastating news. I have taken it harder than I thought I would.

It's just so bittersweet: I really wanted him to nail the comeback tour but now I know he won't be attacked or affected by the horrible things people said about him.

An incredibly strong human being & a credit to people of black descent across the world.
--Aulelia

Post a Comment