Friday, August 28, 2009

The Accidental Moisturizer

Hola chicas.

You know how everyone is on the search for that ever-elusive, yet oh-so-effective moisturizer. I may have just found mine. Well, created it. Unintentionally.



The ladies and I took a last-gasp-of-summer trip to the beach recently, and, knowing I'd be getting my strands wet in the tide, I brought along two favs in the product arsenal -- coconut oil and Aussie Moist conditioner. The oil was to protect my hair before I jumped into the waves, and the conditioner was around to moisturize and style the curls after I was done frolicking in the water.

But a strange thing happened in the sand. For some reason, I decided to mix the two together. In my palm, half oil, half Aussie. Rub together, and apply.

You would have thought I found a rainbow.

My hair instantly became incredibly soft. And a number of the curls that had fuzzed-out (you know what I mean) sprang back into happy, defined coils.

Oh man, what a discovery. Especially since my last (intentional) experiment didn't turn out so hot.

I don't know exactly what makes it work, but it certainly works for me. Since that trip to the beach, I've been using it as an all-over moisturizer between wash-n-go's. A note though -- it can build up over a few days. But that's nothing a simple co-wash can't take handle.

What about you? Have you discovered any concoctions that just made your hair sing?

4 comments:

Miss Dior said...

Thanks for sharing. I am going to be mixing tonight!

Patricia Fleming said...

I love your blog! A few weeks back (after reading your post about trying one thing at a time, I did some experimenting and "created" a recipe that works wonders on my family's natural hair. 1 part raw shea butter, 1 part extra virgin olive oil, & 1 part Island Oil. throw in microwave safe bowl and nuke for about 20 secs. pour mixture into spray bottle and shake. I use it after washing or when styling and it works wonders....

AuntViv said...

Thanks for sharing this. I love both of those products. Aussie Moist makes my curls pop. But it gets kind of crunchy and leaves residue so I only use it as a deep condish. Maybe with added coconut oil I can use it as leave in...

AMIT said...

Oh so thanks for sharing this thing with us.

Lingerie Affairs

Post a Comment